Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Use a potato peeler to take a thin slice down the outer edge of each Fenland celery stem to remove any tough strings. Cut each stem in half and for the thicker stems, cut in half down the length too.
- Lay the celery end to end in a rectangular baking dish, tucking in the thyme sprigs.
- In a jug, stir together the wine, cream and crushed garlic. Season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour the wine and cream over the celery and dot the butter over the top. Loosely cover with foil and bake in the over for an hour or so until the celery is just tender when pierced with the point of a knife.
- Remove the foil and bake for a further 30-45 minutes until the top is golden and bubbling