Summer Salad of Radish, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Asparagus and Peas
This is a wonderful, healthy salad to try when the season for fresh, British greens begins. The radish gives it a wonderful colour, flavour and crunch. If you cannot get purple sprouting broccoli, then just buy any colour broccoli, with tender stems.
|400g fresh purple sprouting broccoli|
|300g fresh British asparagus|
|200g fresh radish|
|200g fresh podded peas|
|100g sesame seeds|
|50ml rapeseed, grapeseed or other vegetable oil|
|Zest and juice of 1 lime|
|2 tbsp soya sauce|
|½ tsp sugar|
|Sea salt and pepper|
Step by step
- Firstly prepare the vegetables. Wash and trim the purple sprouting broccoli, the asparagus and the radish. Slice the broccoli and asparagus into 3 cm pieces, and slice the radish thinly. Place the radish in a bowl of cold water.
- Using a double layered steamer, boil some water and steam the purple sprouting broccoli, the asparagus pieces and the peas for approximately 5-7 minutes. The vegetables should be quite tender, but still green and slightly crisp.
- Remove the vegetables from the steamer and set aside to cool on a clean preparation tray.
- In a little jug mix together the sesame seeds, rapeseed oil, zest and juice of the lime, the soya sauce, sugar, a pinch of sea salt and a generous grating of black pepper.
- In a roomy salad bowl, mix together the steamed purple sprouting broccoli, asparagus and peas. Add the drained radish slices.
- Add the soya and lime dressing. Toss the salad well. Serve.